Thursday, January 31, 2008

Faith

Faith is the holding out of the soul. It is an art of wading out into uncharted waters with an anchor's hold on the eternal faithfullness of an unseen God.

Faith is that willingness to dangle on a thread of hope based on the word of God instead of a stand on a rock of physical evidences.

Leaning on the bases of God's word as a foundation for certainty in an uncertain world with shifting shadows and grounds that give way; walking on the seas of life not bothering about who is responsible for carrying our weight; trusting the Holy Spirit to guide us in our Journey to a land he will yet show us, is the surest way to please God. A.W. Tozer put it this way:
" faith is the least self-regarding of the virtues...
Faith is occupied with the object upon wich it
rests and pays no attention to itself at all. While
we are looking at God we do not see ourself -
blessed riddance."

When we take our gaze off ourself that is the beginning of faith's adventure. ther is nothing as risky as not having faith in this adventure. to take cities for God, you must have developed a habit of sticking to God with a tenacity that says to God "where else can i go from your presence." To attempt great things you must have a knack for hearing only what God is saying through his word. This is the only gaurantee of land and a sare harbour. Nicolas of Cusa wrote 400 years ago:

"When all my endeavor is turned towards thee because all thy endeavour is turned towards me; when I look unto thee with all my attention, nor ever turn aside the eyes of my mind of my mind because thou dost enfold me with the constant regard; when I direct my love towardsthee alone because thou, who art love's self, has turned thee towards me alone, and what lord is my life save that embrace wherein thy delightsome sweetness doth so lovingly enfold me?"

Faith is dwelling in the secret place of the most High. It is not visiting there but living there all the days of your life. I have been through situationsof despair even to the point where the shadows of death loomed all around; where the battle lines were drawn and a host encamped against. In the fray and cries of battle all around me, I chose to stay in his pavillion... His secret place. I turned the battle and challenges over to God the Lord of Hosts and chose his rest. There you cease from all your labour and toils and stand on his word "it is finished."

No comments: